We are always interested in high quality applications for research positions.
We offer PhD and Post-Doc positions, plus summer and Masters projects for undergraduates.
Undergraduate and Masters projects
Please send a CV, including the contact address of two referees, to jhome(at)phys.ethz.ch. Please also indicate the period over which you would like to undertake the project.
Excellent students with a keen interest in quantum mechanics and precision control are encouraged to apply at any time (and can start at any point in the year). Please send a Curriculum Vitae to jhome(at)phys.ethz.ch if interested. This should include information about prior education, previous research which you have performed, and the name and contact addresses of three referees.
We welcome applications from motivated and capable researchers with a strong background in experimental research. Please send a Curriculum Vitae to jhome(at)phys.ethz.ch if interested. This should include information about prior education, previous research which you have performed, and the name and contact addresses of three referees.
Valued research experience - PhD and Post-Doc
The experiments require a high level of control of atomic systems. The experiments at NIST involved sequences of 1000 precisely controlled laser pulses with phase and frequency control, voltage waveforms, and digital acquisition of data. Knowledge in one or many of the following areas would be highly valued.
- Quantum information experiments (atomic or solid-state)
- Atomic physics - laser cooling and trapping, and simulation of quantum mechanics using Matlab/Mathematica
- Frequency and amplitude stabilisation of lasers
- Digital control, including FPGA programming.
- Digital acquisition systems, programming for experimental control
- Digital/Analog electronics, design of circuits.
- Microfabrication, including clean-room techniques, metal deposition by evaporation and electroplating, etching, and photo-lithography.
- Computer simulation using Finite-Element and Boundary-Element methods